ART (Android Run Time) is a bag full of bugs, At least on KitKat!

Okay, so, the other day, I switched over from Dalvik to ART on my brand new Motorola G (2nd Generation) because I thought it would be a nice Idea to experiment with bleeding edge features of the Android OS.

So, I hit up Settings > Developer Options > Choose Run Time

Dalvik to ART
Think twice before making the switch!

I chose ART radio button, then a prompt came up saying that the phone needed to restart inorder to switch the runtime, then without thinking twice, I hit “Ok”.

Phone then got switched off and it went into the Normal rebooting procedure, then Motorola’s boot animation appeared, everything seemed normal and was going fine, then another prompt appeared with the messsage “Android is Upgrading”, below it was another line saying, “Optimizing X of Y Apps”. So, I waited and waited, one by one, slowly and painstakingly, the App number moved up, one at a time.

Then, to my UTTER DISBELIEF, The wallpaper got changed to the default one, my Google Play music widget crashed, my display was a mess and when I tried unlocking my phone by entering my passcode, it went into auto relock after a couple of seconds with the message, “process.com.android.phone has stopped working”. I tried as fast I could to get into the settings menu to change the runtime to Dalvik, but, It would simply not allow me to! -_-

Android is upgrading prompt
This was that bloody bootloop

Fucked up, then, I restarted my phone, only to get stuck in a frustrating bootloop of “Optimizing Apps”. This time around, the number of Apps to be “Optimized” had come down to about eighty or so apps. Nevertheless, the “Optimization” happened so slowly that I almost slept off on my table, then with only 5 more apps to go, I got pumped with dopamine, then, to my utter fucking shock, the indicator stopped going any further. It got stuck at 77 Apps. I couldn’t even restart it, so, I hard booted it by long pressing the power button. Then, I attempted to start it up again, again the same result.

Frustrated, I went back to my most reliable friend in the all of the world, Google! I googled about the problem and I came to know that I’m not the only one facing this. I read about 10 threads across various forums and almost all of them suggested a factory reset, which I thought would be a disaster.

Then, As I intensified my Google search, I came cross a thread which redirected me to an XDA developers page: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2713622

That thread, that fucking thread brought back some hope. After reading about the Arome ZIP tool carefully, I sideloaded up the “Enable Dalvik.zip” onto my Memory card (Yeah, this SD card was critical). Then, I went into the Advanced boot on my Moto G and selected recovery and loaded up the Zip file! And….TA DAA  🙂  ||Dalviks’ back|| 😀

This wonder tool enabled Dalvik as the default runtime and my phone sprung back into life, Phew! :/

So, this is for all those who’re thinking of enabling ART as their default runtime on their KitKat Device, Proceed at your own risk, If you want to, please at least don’t enable it on your primary device. I was lucky, because my Moto G had a memory card slot which enabled me to sideload the SD card with the recovery ZIP, If you’re phone ain’t got no SD card slot, then you’re fucked! :/

So, Don’t try ART before Lollipop 5.0, proceed at your own risk!

Advertisements

Comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s